648049 Pte. Hugh Samson Baillie was born on 26th October, 1891, in Penetanguishene, Ontario, to Thomas Lendrum Baillie and Christiana Samson Baillie. A civil engineer by trade, Hugh had previous military service with the 97th Regiment.

Enlisting in North Bay, Ontario, on February 11th, 1915, Hugh attested into the 159th (1st Algonquin) Bn. His service record shows that he was promoted to Corporal on January 1st, 1916, sailed from Halifax to Liverpool onboard the Empress of Britain on October 10th and was promoted to Sergeant on November 11th.

On January 30th, 1917, the 159th Bn was absorbed into the 8th Reserve Bn. Later in the year, on October 18th, Hugh reverted to Private at his own request.

Posted to the 4th CMR on October 19th, he was assigned to a draft of 3 officers and 100 OR's on November 2nd and joined the 4th CMR in the field at Tay Camp, Belgium, assigned to 'C' Coy.

Wounded in the left hand at Kansas Cross, near Ypres on November 9th. During the afternoon, he was assigned to repair a damaged light rail line while on a working party with 3rd Field Company, CE. This party was heavily shelled by enemy artillery. He was one of 7 men wounded on that working party. Eventually he was hospitalized at Le Treport.

Discharged to the Canadian Corps Reinforcement Camp on November 27th, Hugh rejoined the 4th CMR in the field on December 13th. On February 17th, 1918, he reported sick to 8th Field Ambulance, was discharged back to his unit on April 4th and the 8th he was attached to the 8th Trench Mortar Battery.

November 2nd saw Hugh awarded the GCB (Good Conduct Badge).

Hugh's attachment to the 8th Trench Mortar Battery ended and he was returned the 4th CMR on November 15th. The war was over.

However, on February 2nd, 1919, Hugh was hospitalized at the 5th Casualty Clearing Station with influenza and evacuated to Canadian Conval Hospital, Bexhill, England, aboard the HT Jan Breydel. He was subsequently taken on strength with the Central Ontario Regimental Deport for administrative purposes, and thence taken on strength with the 3rd Reserve Bn, Witley, on March 14th.

Posted to the Canadian Corps Camp, Kinmell Park, pending repatriation, Hugh subsequently returned to Canada aboard the SS Cassandra from Glasgow to Quebec City on May 13th, 1919.

Discharged due to demobilization at Toronto, Ontario, Hugh was struck off strength, home and safe, on May 14th, 1919.

On November 29th, Hugh married Christine Crawford, and he subsequently serving with the RCE during WW2, he died on board the HS Lady Nelson while on active duty on November 16th, 1943. He was buried at sea.

Biography with thanks to Jim Busby.