Lt. John Duncan Campbell was born at Priceville, Ontario, on October 15th, 1887, the middle son of Hugh and Mary Ann (McDonald) Campbell. Along with his older brother Alexander, and younger brother Fraser, John spent his early years on Manitoulin Island before the family eventually settled in Owen Sound, Ontario.

Following high school, John studied at the Ontario College of Pharmacists in Toronto, as did his brother Fraser. Both brothers returned to Owen Sound where they owned Campbell's Druggists. Their older brother, Alexander, graduated as a physician and went on to become the Superintendent of Weyburn Mental Hospital in Weyburn, Saskatchewan.

While working as a druggist, John became a reserve officer with the 31st Grey Regiment, before being recruited in February 1916 as a Lieutenant with the 147th (Grey) Battalion, CEF. Following training at Camp Niagara and Camp Borden, John left Canada aboard the SS Olympic on November 13th, 1916, and arrived in England on November 21st, 1916.

At Shoreham, John was promoted to the rank of Captain before the 147th Battalion was absorbed into the 8th Reserve Battalion. John was appointed Company Commander of B5 Company on January 18th, 1917. He remained at Shoreham with the 8th Reserve Battalion until May 1st, 1917, when they moved to Shorncliffe. Here John would revert to the rank of Lieutenant, at his own request, so that he could be picked up in a draft to the 4th CMR.

Two days later, John landed in France and joined the 4th CMR in the field on May 3rd, and from June through to September of 1917, John attended Sniping School and the Heavy Trench Mortar Course.

On October 26th, 1917, Lt. John Duncan Campbell was killed in action at Passchendaele. The CEF Burial Register states:

"Lt. J.D. Campbell was instantly killed by an enemy shell, which demolished the shelter in which he was resting in the support position, at Passchendaele."

His remains were laid to rest at the White House St. Jean Cemetery, North East of Ypres, Belgium.

John's example and heroism inspired three subsequent generations of his family to follow him into regular military service with the Canadian Armed Forces.

Thanks and credit go to Wendy Chaloux for the biography and image of John Duncan Campbell, with additional thanks to 147th Battalion researcher, George Auer, for additional service details.