1066010 Pte. Earl Holmes was born in Owen Sound on August 2nd, 1896. Living at home with his widowed mother, Earl was the youngest of Amelia's five children. Earl's older brother, Harvey, had initially joined the 147th Battalion and was subsequently transferred to the 248th Battalion on December 7th, 1916. Earl, who was working as a cigar maker at the time, attested into the 248th BN, in Owen Sound, on December 9th - two days after his brother's transfer.

While the unit was in its infancy and still actively recruiting, Earl would have been billeted at home over the winter. In April he was hospitalized with Bronchitis, but returned in time to sail with the unit in early June of 1917. On arriving in England the 248th Battalion was absorbed into the 8th Reserve Battalion, whose mandate was to supply reinforcements to the 58th Battalion and the 4th Canadian Mounted Rifles.

Earl was taken on strength of the 4th C.M.R. in the field on October 19th, 1917, reporting to them on November 1st, shortly after the Battle of Passchendaele, while the unit was being billeted in Tay Camp. Serving with the unit over the winter and into the battles of the Final 100 Days, Earl would have seen action in the Battle of Amiens and the Battle of Arras in 1918.

Right after the Battle of Arras, Earl was granted a rare respite when he was given seven days leave to Paris. He was late returning from leave, for some unknown reason, for the Canadian Corps was already engaged in the Battle of Cambrai when Earl reported for duty. Participating in the final days of this battle, he was with the unit during the Pursuit to Mons where the war ended on November 11th, 1918.

In February 1919 Earl was returned to England and a medical review board was conducted where he was found to be medically fit for general service. As the war was over Earl did not return to the unit but was sent home for demobilization.

1066010 Private Earl Holmes was struck off strength of the Canadian Expeditionary Force on March 19th, 1919. Earl passed away on July 29th, 1971 and was laid to rest in Owen Sound's Greenwood Cemetery.

Biography credit: George Auer.