159621 Pte. Arthur Frederick Jackson was born on April 14th, 1892 in London, England, and was one of six children born to Jeremiah and Alice Jackson.

When attesting originally into the 81st Battalion, Arthur was five foot six inches tall, of medium build and fair complexion, and was a mechanic by trade.

At some time prior to 1913 he immigrated to Canada, where he met a lady in a restaurant by the name of Elizabeth Gorman, who subsequently became his wife on 4th September, 1915. They lived together in Toronto and at this time Arthur had already served in the army with the 48th Highlanders of Canada and the 10th Royal Grenadiers.

Attesting as 159621, Private, into the 81st Battalion on 17th November, 1915, Arthur was transferred to the 4th CMR on 7th June, 1916, as part of the reinforcements to rebuild the regiment after the huge losses at the "Battle for Mount Sorrel" on June 2nd.

Arthur was wounded in the line on 16th September, 1916, receiving shrapnel wounds to his leg and face. Appointed Lance Corporal and subsequently promoted Corporal he soon reverted to Private. This was done at his request, but the reason for this is not known.

The Regiment was subjected to gas attacks on the night of 4th/5th September, 1917. at Neuville St. Vaast, on the Ridge. They were subjected to a bombardment of HE and 'duds'. The duds turned out to be mustard gas and Arthur became one of over a hundred casualties. He was in a dugout at the time and on emerging the next morning he suffered the effects that would plague him in later life. His medical records show that he suffered from nausea, vomiting, severe conjunctivitis and chronic bronchitis, which led to him being invalided out of the CMR and back to Canada.

However his service record shows that after his return to Canada he continued to serve in the Army attesting into 2nd Detachment Canadian Military Police Corps in the rank of Corporal and finally left the army on 16th August, 1919, as a result of demobilisation.

Arthur died on 16th November, 1957, in Sunnybrook Hospital, Toronto, seven daughters and many grandchildren and great grandchildren. His only son was tragically killed in a military truck accident in England during World War 2 whilst serving with the Queen's Own Rifles of Canada.

Many thanks to Simon Grayson for the above biography.